There can be many reasons for noise from an A/C unit. Noises shouldn’t be overlooked and are usually a sign something that has gone wrong or about to go wrong.
Ignoring it can allow the problem to worsen to the point where it can’t be fixed, or where it could be very costly. Sometimes an air conditioning unit is beyond repair by the time it starts being noisy. But most of the time the unit will need only minor work done in order to start working quietly again.
Below are some of the more common causes of noise in an air conditioner unit.
First question……. where is the noise coming from?
Air Handler Noises: The air handler is the unit located on the inside of your house in your attic.
- A buzzing noise can indicate the A/C system’s electrical components may be wearing out and need to be replaced.
- Hissing noises can be caused by a refrigerant leak.
- A clicking sound may be from by a bad thermostat which is causing the relays to trip off and on.
- Clicking might also be caused by an blocked fan blade or debris near the fan blade.
Outdoor A/C Noises – The unit outside of your house is called the condenser.
- Whistling or a bubbling sound could be from a refrigerant leak.
- A buzzing noise coming from the motor can be a bad connection or a burned contractor.
- An rough, loud noise that sounds like a bang when the unit turns on or off could mean the motor is not mounted properly and it allows the motor to move when it turns on or off.
- Humming usually occurs when the motor is trying to come on, but won’t.
- Screaming noises are often caused by internal pressure and can be extremely dangerous. If you hear anything like this, shut down the system and immediately have your system checked by a HVAC professional.
If you are hearing noises from your air conditioner and want us to take a look, give us a call to shedule an appointment today. (832) 752-4445 or visit for more information.