1. Your thermostat should be set between 74°F and 76°F. Every 1° lower might increase running costs by up to 15%.
2. In the middle of summer, pre-cool your house the night before. This is very effective if your house has a high thermal mass such as brick or rock. Pre-Cooling will allow your air conditioner to work at its peek during the cool evening, saving power and wear and tear on the unit. This also allows the air conditioner unit to keep on top of the heat load as the daytime temp warms up.
3. Change your air filter at least once per month. This helps keep your cooling coils from getting clogged by dirt and dust which reduces the efficiency of your unit, saving money on operating and repair costs.
4. Install Solar Screens on windows that get direct afternoon sunlight. This will reduce the amount of heat in your home letting your a/c rest more frequently.
5. Reduce the amount of usage by heat generating appliances during the daytime such as stoves, ovens, hair dryers, etc.
6. Clean the coils on your outside unit with a water hose regularly. This allows more air to flow across the coils therefore letting your unit operate more efficiently. This will save money on operating and repair costs.
Click here for more info!